It's that time of year again - application season! Here's how you can make sure that your applications are ready for families!
Set Up Your Application Form
First, you'll want to be sure that your application form is set up and linked to all schools that are taking applications. Go to Settings > Manage Forms and choose the Application Forms tab:
To preview and edit your application, choose Action > View on the right-hand side. When the application loads, scroll all the way to the bottom and click Edit.
In the edit page, check that all schools taking applications are selected. In this example, Edison High School is not selected, which means that families would not be able to apply. If we wanted Edison High School to accept applications, we would need to select it to assign it an application.
Once you've selected all schools that are taking applications, click Next to go through your application and Save at the end. Your application is now ready to be completed by families!
Tips for Success:
- If you'd like to edit the application, check out this guide: Editing the Application Template
- If your application includes a custom form or general packet, you can check or choose your form in step 8 of editing the application.
Check Your Application and Open Enrollment Dates
Now that your application is all set, let's make sure that the academic calendar will let families access it! To check your dates, go to Settings > Set Up Calendars and Dates and open the Academic Calendar tab. You'll need to have Application Start and Application End dates set for all schools accepting applications. If you'd like applications to be eligible for your next lottery, be sure to set Open Enrollment dates too!
Tips for Success:
- Make sure you set start and end dates for applications and open enrollment - even if you always accept applications, you still need to set an end date or you'll get an error message.
- To learn more about the different calendar dates, check out this guide: How do I use the academic calendar of dates within SchoolMint?
- SchoolMint dates are set in 24-hour time. The time 00:00:00 is the beginning of the day. For example, 00:00:00 on 12/31/17 is the start of Dec. 31st.
- Under the Academic Calendar, you can also check and set Grade Cut-Off Dates, which restricts applications by birth date.
Check Your Lottery Design
In order to accept applications, a school and grade must be part of a lottery design - even if you're not planning to run a lottery for that grade. If a grade/school is missing from the lottery, families will see the error message Error: Currently Not Accepting Applications (7176). Luckily, this is easy to fix!
To check your lottery design, go to Settings > Design and Build a Lottery. Here you can see all grades and schools which are part of a lottery design. If you notice any grades or schools missing, click Edit, add them to your lottery design, and click Save Lottery.
In the example above, families could not apply to 8th grade at Hawthorne Academy because it was not part of a lottery. Once we add 8th grade to the lottery, families can submit applications!
Tips for Success:
- We strongly recommend that you do not remove any schools or grades from your lottery design, as this can cause application errors.
- If you think of any changes you'd like to make to your priorities or sub-lotteries, we recommend that you contact your Customer Success Specialist, who can help you configure and customize your lottery to meet your needs.
And that's it!
As long as you have your application, calendar and lottery all set, families will be able to submit applications - if these are set, you're all set!