What is covered in this article?
- How-To Guide
- Best Practices
- What are the current limitations of this feature?
- Interested in the feature?
- Recommended Reading
General Packets are a SchoolMint feature that allows you to collect information outside of your Application, Registration, or Re-Enrollment workflows. Organizations and schools use General Packets for year-round purposes: field trips, athletics, donations, etc.
You may sometimes hear or see the term "Year Round Forms" used. "Year Round Forms" and "General Packets" are two names for the same SchoolMint feature.
1) From the Settings page, go to create and manage General Packets.
2) Create and manage General Packets from this page.
3) When creating a new general packet, you can set a packet on an Account level or at the Student level:
a) Account level - only one packet will be attached to the family account.
b) Student level - one packet will be attached to each student in the family.
4) Select custom forms for the general packet.
5) Events and Payments can also be attached to a General Packet.
* After creating a general packet, you need to communicate the packet URL to individual students or groups of students.
6a) From Admissions-Manage Packets, send a packet to a group of students by sending an email/SMS
6b) Use Manage Registration or Manage Re-enrollments to select individual students to communicate a general packet URL link.
a) Families, technically, only have to create their username and then they can click a General Packet link from an email/text message to start a packet. In the past, we have seen that this flow may mean that guardian fields may be blank, as the family hasn't at least also created a primary guardian in the account. We recommend that families have at least a record Re-Enrollment > In Progress or an application before starting a general packet.
b) You are able to post the general packet URLs on your school website. However, if you already push general packets to an account/student, when the parent logs in, they will already have general packets waiting for them to complete.
c) When a parent clicks on a general packet URL, they will be directed to sign into their SchoolMint account. Upon sign-in, they will be prompted to complete a packet:
d) After a parent selects a student, they completed the required forms.
e) When a parent completes a packet, they will be directed to the Student Dashboard, to view their progress, whether active or inactive.
What are the current limitations of this feature?
- Using text/email to communicate the URL (instead of hosting it on a website) will use Ad hoc messaging.
- If you re-use a form (from Application, Registration, or Re-Enrollment) any changes in the field values will replace the existing value(s).
- Account Level General Packet - Standard Student Fields will not save information in an Account Level Packet.
Interested in the feature?
If you are interested in this new feature of SchoolMint, please contact your Customer Success Specialist and include this Help Center article link.
Check out the next article "General Packets: Launch: Sending to families".