What are Student Fees in Chalkable Enrollment (Powered by SchoolMint)?
'Student fees' is a feature that is eligible for Chalkable/ iNow customers that have completed their Sync to SIS configuration. Parents can view student fees outstanding for each of their students in SchoolMint by selecting Student Fees from the the header dropdown menu. Parents can view each student’s outstanding fees.
If an outstanding fee exists for a student in the parent’s account, an alert icon will display in the header. Parents can pay for these student fees from their SchoolMint account. Parents can choose to pay the following:
- All outstanding fees for a student
- One outstanding fee for a student
- Partial payment
How can Super Admins administer and track Student Fees?
Super Admins can view a log of all Student Fee Transactions paid through SchoolMint by selecting Student Fee Transactions from the Reports dropdown menu
What is the complete User Flow for student fees?
- School notifies parent that outstanding fees can be paid on the Student Fees page of SchoolMint
- Parent logs into SchoolMint
- Chalkable APIs are called to determine whether or not outstanding fees exist for any student in the account; if so, display an alert icon in the header
- Parent selects “Student Fees” from the header dropdown menu
- Parent selects the student
- Parent clicks the button to pay
- Parent edits the amount to pay, if desired
- Parent submits credit card information
- Stripe processes the charge
- SchoolMint logs the transaction
- SchoolMint calls Chalkable APIs to post the transaction
- A success message displays, and a confirmation email and/or text message is sent to the parent
- Parent sees an updated Student Fees page to reflect the payment that was made
How to Message Families
- In any parent messaging, please make sure to direct parents to the Student Fees page
- Use Custom Messages to help direct parents to the Student Fees page
- The Student Fees feature is turned off by default, and can be turned on/off by school organization. Since this is a premium feature, it is required to pay for this feature prior to having this feature activated for your organization. Please reach out to your assigned Account Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have this feature turned on.
- A parent can choose to pay between $0 and the remaining balance of one fee item;
- The convenience fee is calculated dynamically based on the subtotal. The formula to calculate the convenience fee is: Total * 3.2% + $0.30
- Most credit card entry issues are caught upon submission
- In the case that a credit card is declined after a successful charge (example: a day later), Chalkable APIs are called, the Student Fee Transactions report will log the decline, and the parent will see the outstanding fee reappear in their SchoolMint account
- In the case that a credit card is charged successfully, and the post to Chalkable APIs fails for whatever reason, the parent is blocked from paying again to prevent duplicate payments, and the transaction is flagged