There are 3 ways in SchoolMint to transfer your re-enrollment, registration, and application data into PowerSchool. Each option listed below is ordered by the most efficient and optimal way of transferring data from SchoolMint into PowerSchool.
1. Direct Integration (currently only possible for PowerSchool, Chalkable, and Aeries):
- Setup Timing: ~1 month
- Process: Involves setting up a connection in SchoolMint with your SIS's API, sending us your database schema extensions, and completing a mapping template that our engineers can process to ensure the data in SchoolMint is transferred to the right fields in your SIS. This process is made much smoother if we have access to a sandbox (testing) environment for your SIS.
- Advantages: This is the most seamless way to transfer your data from SchoolMint to your SIS-- once it has been setup, syncing your data only takes a click of a button.
- Considerations: A direct integration requires that you work with your SIS representative closely to complete a mapping template, setup the connection, send the database schema extensions, and test once the integration has been completed. This setup is quite technical.
2. Manual Import Download/ Quick Import to your SIS:
- Setup Timing: ~1 month
- Process: SchoolMint will provide you with the fields collected on registration and re-enrollment forms using something we call a mapping template.You will be able to download a report, matching your SIS headers and codes, that can be Quick Imported or downloaded into your SIS.
- Advantages: This process is slightly easier to initially set up than Direct and it does not require as much data manipulation as the Manual Import.
- Considerations: A mapping template must still be completed, and the ongoing process of transferring information from SchoolMint to SIS requires more manual steps than a direct integration.
3. Manual Data Manipulation and Import
- Timing: Immediate download, timing of necessary data manipulation varies
- Process: Data can be accessed immediately by logging into SchoolMint and navigating to Reports > Custom Reports > Re-Enrollment Data Report (or Registration Data Report). This step requires that you manually manipulate the data found in the Custom Data Report and Quick-Import into your SIS
- Advantages: No mapping template is required if this route is taken. There is no downtime waiting for engineering tasks to be completed.
- Considerations: Since no engineering work is involved, it can mean a great deal of manual Excel data manipulation on your part in order to create a file that can be imported into your SIS.
**Please note that SchoolMint can only transfer over information for students in the following statuses:
TO NOTE FOR POWERSCHOOL MAPPINGS:
SchoolMint cannot update the entry_date, exit_date, immunization dates, grade, school, fteid, or enroll status for any existing students in PowerSchool (be it any state). This is a restriction from the PowerSchool API. This is where `Notes` come in handy so that as an administrator, you can take follow up action.
- For your existing families that have PowerSchool accounts, rather than having to create a SchoolMint account, the PowerSchool login would be directly integrated with the SchoolMint login
- Admins cannot login to SchoolMint via this tool
- Students cannot use this feature either as SchoolMint only has Family Accounts
- SchoolMint uses a CSV file to import returning students from PowerSchool, however we are capable of using PowerSchool APIs to do an import instead.
- Would require an exact list of fields to import.
- Would need to indicate “where” to find specific fields for guardians, emergency contacts, etc, similar to doing a small mapping.
- In this scenario, admins can control what data is sent from PowerSchool to SchoolMint.
- Receive automatic notifications of any changes to student information in either system
- If a particular field is updated in PowerSchool, our tool will “listen” for those changes and update them in SchoolMint accordingly
- Requires some additional time and work --please contact CS if you are interested in learning more about this feature
Join Homeroom - the SchoolMint Customer Community
We built this community to help successful SchoolMint educators connect, share best practices, and learn from each other in our unique, helpful, and fun environment. Inside Homeroom, you will find actionable content that’s worth sharing with your team and educational activities that will help you optimize your use of all SchoolMint products. Click here to claim your seat in Homeroom.