Why are students moving up/down on the waitlist?
Here are a few things to check if you are unsure why a student is moving up or down on your waitlist:
- 1a. Priorities - Most students will have priorities associated with their application, and depending upon how your lottery design was configured, these priorities will move them higher or lower on the waitlist. In order to navigate to your lottery design, you can go to Settings > Manage Lottery > Edit.
1b. Dynamic Sibling - If your charter applies a sibling attending priority to students whose siblings are awarded a seat, you’ll notice movement on your waitlist. The Dynamic Sibling priority is applied based on specific triggers: Make Offer, Offer Accepted or Registration Completed so as you make offers/parents complete registrations you’ll see student move around. To check the Dynamic Sibling trigger go to Settings > Add and Manage Schools > Click the pencil icon for the School > then click Set Individual Grade Preferences.
- Global lottery number - Sometimes it is unclear why student A with the exact same priorities as student B is ahead of student B on the waitlist. One possibility is the global lottery number, which is a random number assigned to each student that does not take into account priorities or date submitted at. There are two ways you can check a student’s Global lottery number: Changes log on their Student Profile and Lottery Results.
- Enrollment status - Students are either in open enrollment or post enrollment status. The open enrollment dates are set in your academic calendar, and if a student applies after the open enrollment date has ended, they will be considered a post enrollment application, and will always be placed after students who are in open enrollment status. You can check if an application is Open Enrollment or Post Enrollment by going to the student profile and expanding the Application.
- Submission date - If you choose to waitlist students based only on their application submission date, you’ll need to send a request to email@example.com asking them to update all students in submitted status to waitlisted status without running a lottery. If a student appears to have moved on the waitlist, their submission date may have changed (or possibly needs to be re-saved). Please note parents are not able to edit their submission date. This can only be changed internally. You can check the submission date by going to the student profile and expanding the Application or on the Application Index in the Submitted At column.
- School Settings - Under Settings > School Settings > Individual Grade Preferences, check to ensure whether or not schools are ignoring post-lottery priorities (if checkbox is checked, when students apply after the lottery, their priorities will not have them move up on the waitlist). You can also check whether or not schools have priority recalculation lock turned on (if checkbox is checked, this will mean that if an application is edited after the lottery was run and that student received the Sibling Attending priority for example, they would not move up on the waitlist even if that priority was in the first sub-lottery).
- Lottery Design - Under Settings > Design & Build a Lottery, check to ensure that the needed priorities have been included. Additionally, it is a good idea to check that priorities are in their own groups (without having multiple priorities checked in one group within a sub-lottery) if a student needs only that one priority to be included in that sub-lottery.
- Changes Log - Under the Student Profile you can scroll down to the Changes Log to determine why a student received a priority or not, and when changes were made to the application or priorities and by whom.