SchoolMint lottery weights are like raffle tickets. When the lottery is run, the SchoolMint randomizer will look at all applications that have priorities within a given sub-lottery (ie. all raffle tickets in a hat) and randomly select one application to be assigned Lottery Number 1, then Lottery Number 2, etc.
Sample Lottery Configuration:
- Group 1: Gender - male, weight 100
- Group 2: Priority - female, weight 105
- Group 3: No Priority, weight 1 (must be included in all lotteries as a catch-all)
Since female applicants have 105 tickets per application and male applicants only have 100 tickets per application, a female applicant has a 51% chance of being selected and a male applicant only has a 49% chance of selection. After all lottery numbers are assigned, SchoolMint gives out pre-offers in order of lottery number and based on the number of open seats.
Application A (male): tickets 1-100
Application B (male): tickets 101-200
Application C (female): tickets 201-305
Application D (female): tickets 306 - 410
Randomizer draws out tickets and assigns lottery numbers:
- Female applicants have a 51% chance of being drawn and male applicants have 49% chance of being drawn.
- Lottery Number 1 goes to Application C (female) and tickets 201-305 are removed from the lottery.
- Lottery Number 2 goes to Application A (male) and tickets 1-100 are removed from the lottery.
- Lottery Number 3 goes to Application D (female)
Pre-offers are made based on open seat numbers:
- Given there are only 2 open seats for this school and grade, then Application C and Application A are given pre-offers.
- Application D is first on the waitlist.
- Application B is second on the waitlist.