What is covered in this article?
- Direct Integration (currently only possible for PowerSchool, Chalkable, Aeries, Software Answers)
- Build your Export File for importing into SIS
- Manual Data Manipulation and Import
- A Note For PowerSchool Mappings
- Single Sign-On
- Re-Enrollment Import
- Listener Tool
There are 3 ways in SchoolMint to transfer your re-enrollment, registration, and application data into PowerSchool. Each option listed below is ordered by the most efficient and optimal way of transferring data from SchoolMint into PowerSchool.
1. Direct Integration (currently only possible for PowerSchool, Chalkable, Aeries, Software Answers):
- Setup Timing: ~1 month
- Process: Involves setting up a connection in SchoolMint with your SIS's API, sending us your database schema extensions, and completing a mapping template that our engineers can process to ensure the data in SchoolMint is transferred to the right fields in your SIS. This process is made much smoother if we have access to a sandbox (testing) environment for your SIS.
- Advantages: This is the most seamless way to transfer your data from SchoolMint to your SIS-- once it has been setup, syncing your data only takes a click of a button.
- Considerations: A direct integration requires that you work with your SIS representative closely to complete a mapping template, setup the connection, send the database schema extensions, and test once the integration has been completed. This setup is quite technical.
2. Build your Export File for importing into SIS:
- Timing: Building the export report in SchoolMint may take a school admin 3-4 hours to configure and test. Once built, the export report will be copied from year-to-year for schools. Downloading the final report and uploading into your SIS is immediate.
- Process: Using our custom report builder tool, admins will select which fields to be included in this custom export file. The report types can be specified per application/re-enrollment/student, as well as listing which schools/record status should populate in the report.
- Advantages: Once built, the export file may be used/refined year after year. Schools admin will have all core data fields and fields from their custom reports to choose from when building the report. If you have an SFTP server, SchoolMint can designate the delivery of your export report to that location.
- Considerations: Your SIS must accept import files. School admins will apply/build custom data transformations to ensure that the data is properly formatted per your SIS requirements.
3. Manual Data Manipulation and Import:
- Timing: Immediate download, timing of necessary data manipulation varies
- Process: Data can be accessed immediately by logging into SchoolMint and navigating to Reports > Custom Reports > Re-Enrollment Data Report (or Registration Data Report). This step requires that you manually manipulate the data found in the Custom Data Report and Quick-Import into your SIS
- Advantages: No mapping template is required if this route is taken. There is no downtime waiting for engineering tasks to be completed.
- Considerations: Since no engineering work is involved, it can mean a great deal of manual Excel data manipulation on your part in order to create a file that can be imported into your SIS.
**Please note that SchoolMint can only transfer over information for students in the following statuses:
A Note For PowerSchool Mappings:
SchoolMint cannot update the following PowerSchool fields for any existing students in the SIS (be it any state). This is a restriction from the PowerSchool API. This is where the `Notes` section of each sync log comes in handy so that as an administrator, you can take follow up action.
- immunization dates
- enroll status.
- For your existing families that have PowerSchool accounts, rather than having to create a SchoolMint account, the PowerSchool login would be directly integrated with the SchoolMint login;
- Admins cannot log in to SchoolMint via this tool;
- Students cannot use this feature either as SchoolMint only has Family Accounts.
- SchoolMint uses a CSV file to import returning students from PowerSchool, however we are capable of using PowerSchool APIs to do an import instead.
- Would require an exact list of fields to import.
- Would need to indicate “where” to find specific fields for guardians, emergency contacts, etc, similar to doing a small mapping.
- In this scenario, admins can control what data is sent from PowerSchool to SchoolMint.
- Receive automatic notifications of any changes to student information in either system
- If a particular field is updated in PowerSchool, our tool will “listen” for those changes and update them in SchoolMint accordingly
- Requires some additional time and work --please contact CS if you are interested in learning more about this feature.
Still have questions? Email us at email@example.com.